Friday, August 5, 2011

idle hands


I have psoriasis. It's another of my darling autoimmune diseases that has no cure. This one manifests itself by producing skin cells faster than I can shed them, resulting in a scaly buildup on my scalp. If I pick at the scales, as I am want to do, they come away from my scalp with little tuffets of hair. Pretty, right?

I have a bit of a picking problem. You know what makes it worse? 8 hours a day of table work. Sitting still with idles hands feels excruciating to me. I pull scales off my head and come away with embarrassing strands of hair which I then hide in my pocket. I mean, really. What? Who am I becoming? I'm trying not to knit because I'm always afraid that folks will think I'm being rude. Truly, I'm not bored! It's just hard for me to have idle hands. But, if I want to keep my hair I think I'm going to have to give up the ghost and just knit.

The great news is that the psoriasis treatment involves sleeping in a shower cap. Sexy.

2 comments:

  1. You should just knit. You are such an amazing knitter.
    Did you say you'd given up wheat? It plays into so many autoimmune disorders.
    I had a friend who had psoriasis and ended up giving up grains and sugar because he figured out it was being caused by candida.
    I'll stop trying to be a doctor now just hope you get to feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Carrie, I did give up gluten and sugar for awhile for my tummy problem. I should look into that whole deal again.

    ReplyDelete