Thursday, January 20, 2011

coconut oil


coconut oil, originally uploaded by Sarah in Brooklyn.

As I continue on my quest for tummy health I have added a ingredient to my retinue: coconut oil. 1 tablespoon a day spread on Nut Thins. It's heavenly and expeditious.

Here's what the Organic Facts website says:
Digestion: Internal use of coconut oil occurs primarily as cooking oil. Coconut oil helps in improving the digestive system and thus prevents various stomach and digestion related problems including irritable bowel syndrome. The saturated fats present in coconut oil have anti microbial properties and help in dealing with various bacteria, fungi, parasites, etc., that cause indigestion. Coconut oil also helps in absorption of other nutrients such as vitamins, minerals and amino acids.
Immunity: Coconut oil is also good for the immune system. It strengthens the immune system as it contains antimicrobial lipids, lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid which have antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties. The human body converts lauric acid into monolaurin which is claimed to help in dealing with viruses and bacteria causing diseases such as herpes, influenza, cytomegalovirus, and even HIV. It helps in fighting harmful bacteria such as listeria monocytogenes and heliobacter pylori, and harmful protozoa such as giardia lamblia.
And it's delicious.

So, fruit smoothie in the morning, coconut oil at night, avoid dairy, gluten and sugar during the day. I like my plan and I already feel better. I still have days of unexplained bowel problems, but mostly I have more energy and feel more even.

And did I mention that coconut oil is delicious?

No comments:

Post a Comment